If you haven’t registered for the Suffrage Centennial Conference please do so as soon as possible. The conference will be held on Saturday, November 5, 2016, 9:30am – 2:30pm at the Walt Whitman Birthplace State Historic Site, 246 Old Walt Whitman Road, Huntington Station, NY 11746, (631) 427-5240 – For directions, please log onto their website.
Presented by the Long Island Woman Suffrage Association, Inc. and generously funded by a Vision Grant from New York Council for the Humanities, the conference will offer an opportunity for historians, librarians, and anyone interested in celebrating New York women winning the vote in 1917 to get together. There will be plenty of time for break-out discussion groups and for a lively exchange of ideas.
Conference speakers will include:
- Natalie Naylor, author of Women in Long Island’s Past
- Professor Brooke Kroeger, NYU, author or New York’s Men of Suffrage
- Arlene Hinkemeyer, League of Women Voters
- Ellyn Okvist, Lake Ronkonkoma Heritage Association, Woman Suffrage Parade Organizer
- Antonia Petrash, author of Long Island and the Woman Suffrage Movement
- Katherine Manning, Ideas for Teachers
- Michael Barnett – Margaret Fuller’s life
Coffee when you arrive, light lunch provided. No fee, but reservations are a must as space is limited. Please RSVP by October 21, 2016.
See you at the conference!